Coast Defense 1942-1957

In World War II, with German U-boats threatening the East Coast and Long Island, Montauk was considered a likely invasion point. The US Army upgraded Fort Hero, and renamed it Camp Hero in 1942. The Navy also acquired land in the area, including Fort Pond and Montauk Manor. They built docks, seaplane hangars, barracks, and other buildings in the area. There was also a huge torpedo testing facility.

The whole facility, with U.S. Army, Navy and Coast Guard constituents, was officially known as the "US Military Reservation", but the locals just called it "Camp Hero".

When World War II ended, the base was temporarily shut down and used as a training facility by the Army Reserves. The naval facilities were largely abandoned.

One of two 16-inch gun batteries located at Camp Hero. Each battery consisted of two 16-inch guns built into a man-made hill with the guns connected with approximately 500 feet of underground tunnel for storing shells and powder, generators and latrines.

Summary Information

  • In Service 1944 - 1957
  • Purpose Two 16-inch guns connected by a 500 foot underground bunker for storage and support requirements.
  • Current Status Sealed. Not open to the public.

One of two 16-inch gun batteries located at Camp Hero. Each battery consisted of two 16-inch guns built into a man-made hill with the guns connected by approximately 500 feet of underground tunnel for storing shells and powder, generators and latrines. The image used for this site depicts a gun that is similar to the one that had been located in Montauk. At the time of this photo the gun was located at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.

Summary Information

  • In Service 1943 - 1959
  • Current Status Sealed. Not open to the public

No Information Currently Available.